Contact Street Angels
Need more information about Street Angels, want to make a donation or get involved?
Or call our Coordinator Ben on: 07717 876853
“Street Angels are one of the Church’s gifts to our communities.”
The Guildford Town Centre Chaplaincy is committed to supporting its staff and volunteers to enable them to undertake their roles safely and professionally and to meet their needs for pastoral care. This includes providing high quality training, a volunteer pack with advice and guidance on a wide range of issues and ensuring volunteers have access to pastoral support should they need it.
The volunteer pack for Street Angels includes:
- An introduction to the Guildford Town Centre Chaplaincy
- A description of the roles and values of Street Angels
- Our Code of Conduct for Street Angels
- A Protocol for working with the Police
- Guidance on Health and Safety including a risk assessment
- The Team Leader’s role and responsibilities
- Guidance on referrals and responding to allegations
- Details of supervision and support arrangements
- Instructions on how to claim expenses
- Safeguarding Policy
Attending the training to become a Street Angel is essential before starting out on the regular teams. This consists of six sessions initially, covering the following areas: Roles and Values of a Street Angel; Drugs and Alcohol Awareness; Personal Safety (led by the Police); Relating Effectively; Safeguarding; and Protocols. Subsequently there will be occasional extra training sessions on subjects felt to be relevant to the work of Street Angels.
Safeguarding children and vulnerable adults
Guildford Town Centre Chaplaincy takes seriously its responsibilities for protecting and safeguarding the welfare of all those entrusted to its care particularly children, young people and vulnerable adults. We have therefore adopted a comprehensive safeguarding policy which demonstrates our commitment to:
- Valuing, listening to and respecting children, young people and vulnerable adults as well as promoting their welfare and protection.
- Safe recruitment, supervision and training for all the staff and volunteers including taking up references, interviews and Criminal Records Bureau checks (DBS).
- Adopting a procedure for dealing with concerns about possible abuse.
- Encouraging and supporting parents/carers.
- Supporting anyone affected by abuse in the organisation.
- Maintaining good links with the statutory authorities and other organisations.
- We carry out DBS checks for all our Street Angels, in line with CCPAS (Church Child Protection Advisory Service) Guidelines. This is the equivalent of the former ‘CRB’ checks, and they are now done on-line.
Our Street Angels Coordinator, Ben Pitt, is responsible for the recruitment, training, deployment and support for volunteer Street Angels. For all matters about Street Angels, Ben is the person to talk to. His contact details are as follows:
Tel: 07717 876853
Address: Guildford Town Centre Chaplaincy, c/o Guildford YMCA, Bridge Street, Guildford, Surrey, GU1 4SB.